Friday, July 28, 2006

Just the begining...

Once upon a time, in a place far away, a banana fell in love with a beautiful berry princess. Being young and hot for one another, the two got married and soon started having little bananaberry babies. We recently stumbled upon these delicious little fruits and decided that the time was right to create a delicious little drink in homage to the "fruits of their labors." Found, by Kat, on the side of a jones soda bottle at Jumpin Java. Just thought that was a great way to start this post, for no real reason other than it made us laugh

Well I guess one thing I've been wanting to write about it my new found "Patriotism". With taking this American History class, things seem so different to me then they had before. I am prouder to be an American than I ever have been in my life. It's new for me and I absolutely love it!

WOO-HOO! I just found out some amazing news!!! They just called me... I found out that I don't have to worry about the Sallie Mae loan that I have out because they are taking care of it!!! Woo-hoo! It's going into forbearance, which basically means that there will be a couple of dollars of interest for these last few months, but then when I start school in the fall, it goes into deferment and I don't pay it until I graduate in 4 years, and no interest will be collecting. It was past due and it looked bad on my credit (they clear that up as soon as it goes into forbearance) and I did not have the money to pay for it. God is so awesome. When you trust Him to take care of things, He really comes through. I'm just in awe.

I have some new found friends that are just simply awesome. Jess, Manda, Jeremy, and all the rest. Everyone seems to be so great. My Kitty is visiting me. I love having her here. She's simply one of the most awesome girls I know. And clearly one of the best friends I've ever had.

I have been doing a lot of learning and growing. It's so amazing to have things finally start to click... here is a list of books that have helped to revolutionize my relationship with Christ... you should pick up a few and check them out.... Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller, A New Kind of Christian by Brian McLaren, The Story We Find Ourselves In by Brian McLaren, The Last Word, and the Word After That by Brian McLaren, The Secret Message of Jesus by Brian McLaren (which I've only read half of and plan to reread after I finish Velvet Elvis), Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell (which I'm only about a third of the way through, but has already started so much churning in my mind). Books that are still on my reading list... A Generous Orthodoxy by Brian McLaren, Aqua Church by Lenard Sweet, and The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis. These books have sparked many new thoughts and ideas, fresh new ways of looking at and approaching things (Esspecially the Bible and the teachings of Jesus), many wonderful conversations, and most importantly many talks with God, where He has changed me, shown me parts of myself I hadn't seen before, revealed to me a way to be what I say I am, new desires and feelings, and just completely renewed my heart in the desire I have to FOLLOW IN THE WAYS OF JESUS CHRIST. I'm amazed and awe-struck by God.


I hope that all of you that are reading this take time to really examine what it is you believe and why you do. I know at the very begining of this journey, it seemed as though in the words of McLaren "I was losing my faith", it was just because I was questioning the things I was brought up believing were the truth. Even though this is still just the begining, I feel so radically different. I will continue to post on here some of the dramatic ideas I've been bouncing around with, somethings are just between me, God and some close friends. Pray for me. I appreciate it.


In Love,

Meliss

1 comment:

KayMac said...

love you girl! rejoicing w/ you on the loan stuff!