Thursday, July 20, 2006

A New Kind of Christian

Here are some things I've been reading in A New Kind of Christian and they really are some revolutionary thoughts:

If there is a real, living, active, relevant desire of God and wisdom from God that needs to be brought to bear on our concrete life situation, then both sides (modern and postmodern) better move to the edge of their seats, start praying, start listening to each other and start reading the Bible in fresh new ways for all the wisdom they can mine from it.

The Bible is a family story, telling us what it means to be Children of God. It helps us to know who we are, why we're here, and where we're going.

And you enter Heaven... Heaven is a place of intense brightness, a place fragrant with goodness, a place alive with love. The presance of God seems to pervade everyone and everything, like a light that doesn't shine onto things, but rather shines out of everything, everywhere. In this place, people are humble and genuinely interested in others. They are eager to serve one another and they love to laugh and dance and be free as children. There are no inhabitions. There is nothing to hide. It is a place of true freedom, trust and intimacy. And even though it is a place of great diversity, with people of all cutlures and languages and times retaining their own uniqueness, it is a place where no one argues, no one fights, no one hates, and no one complains-- not because thy aren't allowed to, but because they don't want to, because they accept and love one another completely. They are fully alive.


This book is really helping to rejuvinate my relationship with Christ (I recommend it to everyone who loves to read and would love to discuss it with you if you do read it). Along with everything else He is doing with me right now, this is just one thing that is really awesome.


Please pray for me. I was rejected for my school loan today and so I don't really know where that leaves me... well I'm off to class... write more sometime soon!!!!

3 comments:

KayMac said...

thanks for the post. email or call me and let me know what is happening w/ the other. love you, mom mc

Daughter of the Most High King said...

Another thing that I found facinating about the book was the ideaology of hell. I thought it was a really new way to see things that made sense.

Daughter of the Most High King said...

I haven't landed but I'm definatly hovering close over heaven and hell being one place, though I've still yet to finish "The Story We Find Ourselves In" and "The Last Word, and the Word After That". It's definately not the theology I'd grown up believing, but then again, a lot of the things I believe now would appear as "Blasphemy" to the church grew up in. A lot of what he says really makes sense to me and I love the thought that we can be a new kind of Christian, some of his ideas seem so basic that it's hard to believe I'd ever missed them. Some are so polar from anything I was ever really told or made to think, and I think that it's so awesome. Sorry about rambling on, with what should have been such a short answer. I hear you're coming to visit. Can't wait to see ya!

Mel